-1/4 cup pumpkin
-1/4 cup sour cream
-3 egg yolks
-1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
-1/8 teaspoon allspice
-1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
-Generous pinch of nutmeg
(fresh ground if possible)
-Pinch of salt
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-6 teaspoons splecia brÛlÉe sugar or granulated sugar, for caramelizing
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In small mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream. Stir the pumpkin mixture with a small whisk or spoon for a full minute. Set aside.
- Put the heavy cream in a saucepan and stir while heating, just to the point of boiling. Whisk the hot cream into the pumpkin mixture in small amounts until all is blended, stirring for a full minute.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into another bowl or large measuring cup. Place 4 (4-ounce) shallow ramekins in a hot water bath. Fill with the pumpkin mixture and place on an oven rack slightly below the middle of the oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or less if centers are softly set.
- Cool the ramekins in the hot water bath until comfortable to handle. Then cover with wrap and refrigerate from 1 hour to 2 days before using. When ready to serve, remove from fridge and sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar on each ramekin and torch to caramelize.
- Serve immediately. Serves 4.